November 4, 2010

Junk, I think not!

One man's junk is another man's treasure. That's how the saying goes right? I was given some liners to vintage military bags from some friends of mine who make awesome screen printed totes. After taking in their scraps, I wasn't sure what I was going to do with them. The bags were all beaten up, sitting in a box out in the cold, and looking pretty rough. I wasn't sure how they were going to clean up, but after taking the scissors to this bag I was able to get a few nice looking straps that have a story to tell. Scratches, stitching, and holes just to name a few imperfections that add personality to these fine looking straps. After much needed love, these pieces will turn into gorgeous treasures to add to Malamoose Beadery.


After shaving down the leather in some spots, and adding some glue to others, I've created this gorgeous One of a Kind watch. Using remnant leather will always allow for my creations to be eco-friendly and no two ever to look alike. This watch features a Bali style face with a turquoise background, vintage brown leather strap ( from the junk bags) and an underlay of brick red leather that is remnants from making boot laces.


For those of you who see things as trash no matter what, you might want to see if someone else can use it first. By doing so you are helping out the environment and some amazing artists who might be looking for just the thing you have. Take a look and see what junk you may have lurking in the attic or basement. If your not willing to give it up just yet, maybe this has inspired your creative side and you will think outside the box and put it to use in a new way.

1 comment:

  1. The watch is gorgeous! What a great way to upcycle. You have made me think about what is in my attic. Thanks!

    Cheers!
    Julie
    Julie Magers Soulen Photography

    ReplyDelete